Sunday, April 11, 2010

Recycled dress shirt dress


I made this dress for Mia from an old dress shirt that had an ink stain in the front pocket. The front buttons of the shirt became the back buttons of the dress.

When I finished I wished I had taken photos of the entire process. I used the bottom half of the shirt from the armpits down to make the skirt and then cut the bodice of the dress from the top of the shirt and the sleeves and collar from the sleeves of the shirt. I loved the fact that I didn't have to deal with making button holes or sewing in a zipper!

9 comments:

sarah said...

ash!! i LOVE it! i tried making one for scarlette last week and i messed up a little. the armpits were too tight on her. but this one is so much more detailed!!! it's adorable! did you use a tutorial or just make it up as you went along?

ashley said...

I have a pattern that I used to cut out the bodice, sleeves and collar. Did you make a dress with sleeves? Could you sew along the armpit with a wider seam allowance and cut away the allowance to make the armhole larger?

kathryn said...

so cute! i guess i'm gonna have to get my skills on and try a dress- i do skirts because they're so easy... but i'll take it up a notch and try a dress. good job ash! it looks adorable!

sarah said...

no. i already trimmed away the extra fabric. i used that shirt for my test one anyway. im saving my favorite shirt for when i've got it down. :)

Angela said...

I didn't know that your talents extended to sewing on top of everything else. This is neat! And Mia is beautiful!

ashley said...

Hi Pmom! Thanks! This was a really fun project, just challenging enough to be interesting but not overwhelming. I just wish I could find large enough dress shirts to make dresses for my older girls!

ashley said...

Kat and Sar, you two inspire me with all your cute projects you sew. :)

Zina said...

Very clever! She's so adorable.

The Prudent Homemaker said...

Very nice! nd pretty green yard, too!

I just made a skirt for oldest dd out of my husband's dress shirt. It had a paint stain on the sleve (and we don't know how that got there!) I had it button down the front of the skirt. I made a waistband, too; I did have to rework that buttonhole since it went through another layer.