Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ciao!

Mike, Zane and I went to Italy last month for a week. It was an amazing vacation! We visited Venice and Florence. The art, canals and "elegant decay" of Venice was enchanting. The labyrinth of walkways between buildings gave our map reading skills and sense of direction a good work out!
In Florence we saw lots of art and sculpture including Michelangelo's David, works by Giotto, Da Vinci, Botticelli...it was like living in a book about the Renaissance. We also tasted the best gelato I've ever eaten at a shop called GROM! Oh how I miss you pistachio and hazelnut and dark chocolate...

I wish traveling wasn't so expensive because it makes studying history so amazing and memorable (and yummy!) Here is a pic of Zane and me on the Rialto bridge in Venice. Arrivederci!

7 comments:

sarah said...

I am jealous!! Even baby Zane has been to Italy & not me!! :( That's it. I'm starting a Europe fund.....

Random thought. Europe starts with a vowel but saying an Europe fund sounds wrong. Why is that? Is it because it's a proper noun?

ashley said...

We say "a" before consonant sounds and "an" before vowel sounds.
Europe starts with a consonant "y" sound so we say "a Europe vacation".

Honest starts with a vowel sound of short "o" so we say "an honest answer".

Class dismissed. :)

kathryn said...

hmmm, that was fascinating ashley. i'd often wondered about that "an/a" thing. curious that i'd never figured out it was the sound not the actual letter the word started with...

kathryn said...

oh and, by the way, lovely picture. makes me want to eat a croissant with nutella and not shave my armpits- ha! but really, it does make me long for a European vacation. glad you guys had a good time!

p.s. my word verification is "hummis" so i think i'll go eat some hummus and chips and pretend i'm on an east indian vacation.

sarah said...

thanks ash! :) kat, you already never shave your armpits! you're halfway there!

Ritters said...

How fun! What a cutie!

Becca said...

What a fun, great getaway!! Congrats on the baby boy. I LOVE the name Zane and even had it on our list for a boy name...but we apparantly can't make any boys!