Sunday, May 04, 2008

When you can't afford the opera...

...get your culture from yogurt instead! I can't believe it but I am a homemade yogurt maker now! I have made several batches so it is not just a one time thing. (I also make my homemade bread now too! Woo hoo!) So how do I do it? I'm sure you are itching to know. First I fiddled with my electric skillet to see where to adjust the knob so it would heat water to 100*F. Then I heat a quart of milk to almost boiling (180*F) Then I let it cool to 100*F. I whisk in about 1/4 cup yogurt (from the store or my previous batch). Pour the yogurt into several small jars or ramekins and place them in my warm water bath in the skillet. I then cover with the lid and walk away for about 7 hours and when I come back I have yogurt. I cool my culture in the fridge and enjoy it with maple syrup. Yum Yum!

3 comments:

Zina said...

Hi Ashley! This is Zina. (I think I found your blog a while ago through MaryAnn's. Nice to "see you" again.) You just made yogurt-making sound so easy, I think I might actually dare to try it. I even have a nice dehydrator (I got it last year to make better use of my plum crop from my tree, & made a ton of fruit leather) and I've been told the dehydrator also works well for making yogurt. Thanks for demystifying it for me. :)

Me, myself, and I said...

Just wanted to stop by and say what a cute family, It is valuable that good young families share their ideals online and it reminded me of this thought by President Ballard: --Elder M. Russell Ballard, an apostle in the Church, told the mostly Mormon, graduating students at Brigham Young University-Hawaii to use the Internet — including blogs and other forms of “new media” — to contribute to a national conversation about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Keep up the good work, wholesome families (with adorable babies)are vital~ love, ~Sister Boyer~

Zina said...

I'm "tagging" you -- follow this link to my blog for instructions:

http://tinyurl.com/4kafk3