Friday, May 30, 2008

A typical day

Have you ever noticed that the difference between a typical day and an atypical day is just a fraction of an inch? Just for fun I thought I would give you an outline of a typical (or maybe atypical) day in our home.

Today...
I got up and did my morning routine: morning prayer, get dressed, hair, clean my toilet and take dirty clothes downstairs.
I read a couple of blogs and made a few comments. (This was a distraction)
Then the kids started waking up so I changed baby's diaper and said good morning to everyone. They got dressed and made their beds while I went down and started breakfast which was scrambled eggs, toast, leftover baked french toast and hot chocolate.

After breakfast we had family scripture study.

The kids did their chores while I did breakfast dishes. M- straighten and dust bookshelves, E- vacuum hall closet, A- empty silverware from dishwasher

Then we went upstairs for school around 9:30 am- later than I like to start.

Marah had her spelling test while Ethan played on a phonics computer and Abby played with toys.

Marah watched a video from the Institute for Excellence in Writing which we just bought (so far it has helped so much with Marah's attitude toward writing).

Ethan and I played a memory game that drilled 'ay' and 'ai' sounds. Abby played dinosaurs, Mia played with Twistables (a type of crayon) on the floor.

While Marah started writing a story, Ethan and I read a poem together, played animal memory and mancala.

I laid Mia down for her nap and then practiced the ABC's with Abby while Ethan did a puzzle and Marah was still writing.

Marah and Ethan played Mancala.

Marah went back to writing (Can this be the same girl who claimed she hated writing earlier this year? Usually we would do history at this point but she wants to write so we’re writing today!) Ethan did his math (learning what a line segment is and how to draw one with a ruler). Abby worked on a puzzle,

For lunch we had leftover homemade pizza from last night, quesadillas, and grapes.

After lunch Marah and I worked on her Math while the other kids did puzzles and played.

I had a few errands to run so I left the kids home to play (Mike works at home so they aren't alone)

When I came home we hung our hammock on the porch and the kids played on it while Mike and I made dinner- Sesame Peanut Noodles with Veggies.

We took our dinner over to Grandma's to eat and share with her. Friday is movie night for the kids and so we watched "The Indian in the Cupboard" and ate popcorn and Junior Mints for a treat.

Home for jammies and prayers and kids go to bed.

I read a bit and wrote this post and now I’m off to brush teeth, read my scriptures and go to bed at 12:30am- Past my bedtime, Goodnight!

6 comments:

jenlinmin said...

It sounds so idyllic and wonderful and I love that you are one of the only people I know who can pull it off so beautifully, Ashley!

Grandma Kristi said...

It still seems a little odd to me for my children to have children of their own and be going through all the same motions that I went through what seems not so very long ago....Every generation has to go through the process of learning and growth, but hopefully we can take some of the advice our parents hand out and won't have to relearn everything! Anyway, you have a beautiful family, Ashley--keep up the good work. Read that poem I wrote called "Between Parent and Child"--sort of goes along with this subject....which, now that I think of it, isn't really the subject of your blog at all----sorry!

kathryn said...

woah. just reading all that made me exhausted! you do such a great job ashley. i am still working with maggie on the ABC's... she puts in two "D's" instead of a "D" and an "E", and two "K's" instead of a "J" and a "K". And "L-M-N-O-P" comes out sounding like "ella-mahno-cee". It's cute, but you know, we should probably help her get it right. Anyways, keep up the good work!

The UnMighty said...

You should use that prestigious degree of yours and get a job. Make Mike stay home a few days a week. Then he'll finally appreciate you.

Benielle said...

Wow Ashley, you are my hero. I didn't name my kids after yours for no reason. After reading your blog I decided I can't be as good as you and I will have to stop at 2kids.

I'd like to read a stream of consciousness version of "A typical day." What thoughts are you having through all this?? I mean, I know what I'm feeling reading your typical day....
exhausted and afraid for my own future.

Benielle said...

I guess what I'm hoping for is things like, "I just wish my son would ask me to play a game. Sigh." Right before he askes you to.
Then all your dreams come true as your daughter proceeds to write about how greatful she is to her mother and all this hard work....