Friday, August 01, 2008

It takes two to tango...

...and to make tomatillos.
I planted a tomatillo plant several months ago and I have been so excited to make salsa verde. The plant has hundreds of blossoms and many have developed into the characteristic paper husk that surrounds the tomatillo fruit. I became suspicious that something was wrong when none of the husks seemed to grow fruit. I searched for tomatillo on Wikipedia and sure enough it says the tomatillo is "highly self-incompatible" It needs another tomatillo plant to pollinate. Bummer!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh no, Ash! That is a bummer. Quick! go get another tomatillo! I like tomatillos, hope your's makes fruit eventually. :)

kathryn said...

yeah, get another tomatillo plant and then put some speakers with a little barry white out there. maybe you'll still get a tomatillo or two this season!