Wednesday, April 16, 2008

National Hanging Out Day!


I have a confession to make. Awhile back I posted that one of the things I was trying to do to save energy was air dry my clothes. Well since we moved to Oregon I haven't done it once! In California spring meant warm sunny days. In Oregon springtime is another story. And that rainy story has hampered my good intentions.
That leads me to tell you about April 19th -- National Hanging Out Day. No this does not mean you get to be lazy all day. You get to hang your laundry out to dry the old fashioned way! Did you know that after the refrigerator the dryer is the next appliance in energy consumption? Did you know that hanging clothes to dry has been outlawed or banned by many cities and homeowners associations? Can you believe someone telling you that you can't use the free energy of the sun to dry your clothes? That's like cities saying, "No walking or biking allowed---it doesn't make our streets look good."
So join with me and try hanging a load of clothes up on Saturday. Inside or outside. Its good for your pocket book, your body and the air!

5 comments:

kathryn said...

i bet my HOA has rules against hanging clothes out to dry. but i'm going to stick it to them and do it anyway! thanks for the heads up!

ashley said...

Kat, according to www.laundrylist.org Utah is one of the few states that supports peoples rights to have a "reasonably sighted" clothesline. Here is the link:

http://www.laundrylist.org/advocacy/righttodry.htm#Do%20you%20live%20in%20Florida%20or%20Utah

ashley said...

That didn't show up very well. If you're interested go to www.laundrylist.org and scroll to the bottom of the home page and look for the dark blue box labled "Right to Dry".

Grandma Kristi said...

Well, I didn't know I was so fashionable......I've been "hanging out" quite regularly around here since my dryer decided it had had enough and died six weeks ago. That and hanging out at the local laundromat.....But I really like the way clothes smell when they are hung out. Rick hates the "scratchy" towels, though.

ashley said...

Tell him they are exfoliating or massage towels...its like a spa treatment at a fancy hotel. :)